Prosciutto-Wrapped Shrimp with Watermelon-Tomato Salad
A cool and colorful salad is a wonderful complement to grilled shrimp flavored with a seasoned dressing and wrapped with prosciutto.
- 2 cloves garlic, grated or pasted
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 sprigs oregano or marjoram, finely chopped
- 1 small fresno chile pepper, seeded and finely chopped, or 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), plus more for drizzling
- 12 jumbo shrimp or large prawns, peeled and deveined, tails left on
- Seafood seasoning blend (optional)
- Sea salt and pepper
- 12 thin sliced prosciutto di parma
- 1/2 small red or golden seedless watermelon, cubed (3 cups)
- 2 tomatoes, seeded and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 3/4 pound ricotta salata or feta, crumbled into bite-size pieces
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
In a medium bowl, combine the garlic, lemon juice, oregano (or marjoram), chile (or crushed red pepper) and 2 tablespoons EVOO. Add the shrimp, season with seafood seasoning blend, if using (otherwise, use sea salt and pepper), and turn in the dressing to coat. Roll up each shrimp in a slice of prosciutto. Drizzle or brush a little more EVOO over the shrimp.
Pre-heat an outdoor grill, indoor grill pan or a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp and cook, turning once, until the shrimp are firm and opaque and the prosciutto is crisp, 3 – 4 minutes.
In a bowl, combine the watermelon, tomatoes, onion, cheese, parsley and mint. Dress with the remaining 4 tablespoons EVOO; season with sea salt and pepper. Top each serving of salad with 3 shrimp.