Roast Chicken and Sausage with Grapes and Olives
This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
- 1 4- to 5-pound chicken, spatchcocked (backbone removed with kitchen shears) then quartered into 2 breasts and wings, and 2 chicken legs with thighs attached (you can also ask the butcher to do this for you)
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds sweet Italian sausage links
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds (3 to 4 bunches) black seedless grapes
- 1 1/2 cups large, pitted, black Cerignola olives
- 2 bulbs garlic, top ends cut off to expose all the cloves
- 4 large shallots, peeled and halved then thinly sliced
- A handful of thyme, stripped
- A handful of rosemary, leaves stripped and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 cups chicken stock
- Charred bread, to serve
Preheat oven to 425°F.
Season the chicken with salt and a few grinds of pepper on the front and back of each piece then place uncovered in fridge on lowest shelf several hours or overnight.
Arrange grapes and olives in the center of a roasting pan then arrange chicken pieces around them along the edges of the pan. Scatter in the shallots and add the garlic to the pan in their skins. Liberally dress the chicken and grapes with EVOO, and season the grapes, olives, shallots and garlic with salt and pepper. Scatter the thyme and rosemary over the top then add wine and stock to pan. Roast 75-90 minutes until a thermometer inserted into the chicken thighs reads 160-165°F.
Serve with lots of crusty bread for mopping pan juices.