Romanesco Broccoli and Rigatoni
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 pound rigatoni pasta
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 head romanesco broccoli or broccolini, cut into florets
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 2 sprigs rosemary, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2/3 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese (a couple of generous handfuls), plus more to pass around the table
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain, reserving a couple of ladlefuls of the pasta cooking water.
While the pasta is working, in a large, heavy saucepan or Dutch oven, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until golden, 6-7 minutes. Stir in the wine for 1 minute, then the chicken stock. Add the broccoli, lemon peel, rosemary and crushed red pepper; season with salt and black pepper. Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
In a serving bowl, toss the pasta, reserved pasta cooking water, cooked vegetables, cheese and nuts for 1 minute. Season with salt and black pepper and serve, passing the extra cheese at the table.