Sausage Burgers on English Muffin Buns
These sausage burgers are the best of both worlds!
- 1 1/2 pounds ground pork or turkey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground sage (about 1/2 palmful)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground thyme (about 1/2 palmful)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper (about 1/2 palmful)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar or maple syrup
- 4 slices sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 sandwich-size English muffins, regular or whole grain, toasted
Pre-heat the broiler.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground pork with the ground sage, thyme and cayenne pepper. Mix well with your hands, then form the meat into four equal-size patties. Wash your hands after handling the raw meat or poultry.
Pre-heat a large, ovensafe skillet with the EVOO over medium heat. Sear the patties on both sides, then add the ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce and brown sugar to the skillet and let the mixture cook down until it coats the burgers and becomes saucy, about 5-6 minutes.
Place the English muffin halves on a baking sheet and pop them under the broiler to toast.
Place a piece of cheddar cheese on top of each burger. Melt the cheese by quickly placing the ovensafe skillet under the broiler. Serve the burgers on the toasted English muffins topped with a spoonful of the sauce.
This is one of many “Yum-o!” recipes – it’s good and good for you. To find out more about Yum-o!, Rachael’s nonprofit organization, go to www.yum-o.org.