Savory Sour Cream and Chive Waffles with Sausage and Lingonberry Syrup
Serve with Savory Eggs with Peas and Shallots.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 pound ground pork, chicken or turkey breast
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 2 teaspoons paprika or smoked sweet paprika
- A handful fresh flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon grill seasoning, such as Montreal Steak Seasoning brand
- 1 cup lingonberry preserves
- A couple cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Splash water
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- A couple pinches salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- A little freshly grated nutmeg
- 3-4 tablespoons chopped chives
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 large free range eggs
- 4 tablespoons melted butter, divided
Heat the EVOO in a large skillet. Mix the ground meat with fennel, paprika, parsley and grill seasoning. Form 8 small 2-3-inch patties and add to the hot skillet, cook 3-4 minutes on each side. Keep warm.
Pre-heat a waffle iron.
Warm preserves with cloves, cinnamon, lemon juice and water over low heat. Remove the cloves and cinnamon stick
Mix the dry ingredients and chives in a mixing bowl and make a well in the middle. Mix the milk, sour cream, eggs and half the melted butter together then pour into the well. Beat the wet into the dry with a few shift turns but do not over mix the batter. Brush the waffle iron with a little of the remaining butter and cook waffles, keeping then warm and crisp in a low oven. The batter should fill a 4 section iron 3 times, making 12 waffles, 3 per portion. Serve 3 waffles and 2 patties with lingonberry syrup drizzled over top.