Seafood Pasta with Sherry Tomato Cream Sauce
- 1 1/2 pound penne rigate or bow tie pasta
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1/2 pound shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
- 2 large shallots, chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
- A pinch or 2 crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 1/2 cup chicken stock or seafood stock
- 1 can crushed tomatoes (15 ounces)
- 1 pound shelled, cooked or raw bulk lobster pieces
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup cream
- A handful chopped chives or parsley or both
In a large saucepan boil water for the pasta. When water begins to boil add salt liberally, let water return to a boil and cook pasta to al dente. Drain.
Heat a large skillet over medium heat with EVOO, 3 turns of the pan. Add mushrooms, shallots and garlic, red pepper flakes and saute 5 minutes. Deglaze the pan with sherry, stir in stock and tomatoes and bring to a bubble. If using raw seafood, season with lemon zest, salt, and pepper. Raise the heat a bit then add the seasoned seafood and heat through or cook until just about firm and opaque, a couple of minutes. If using cooked seafood, season the seafood when you add it to skillet with lemon zest, salt and pepper.
Stir in heavy cream and toss hot pasta with sauce and chives and/or parsley, adjust seasoning and serve.