Sesame Five-Spice Roasted Nuts
For a variety of snacks or appetizers, or for those nights when you want to graze your way through a meal, serve these nuts with Asian Glazed Wings and Warm Brie with Fuji Apple, Pear and Melba Toasts.
- 1 cup peeled whole almonds, available in bulk foods section at the grocery store
- 1 cup whole hazelnuts, available in bulk foods section at the grocery store
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons five-spice powder (ground star anise, Szechuan peppercorn, cinnamon, cloves and fennel seed), available on spice aisle
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1 cup smoked almonds, such as Diamond brand, available on snack aisle at the grocery store
Pre-heat oven or toaster oven to 400°F. Roast peeled almonds and hazelnuts about 7-8 minutes; your nose will know when they’re done.
Toast sesame seeds over medium heat in a small skillet , about two minutes, then remove and reserve.
Add butter and melt it. Add the five-spice powder and hot sauce. Add roasted nuts and smoked nuts and toss to coat in butter. Add sesame seeds and toss with nuts, transfer to a small bowl and serve warm.