Sicilian-Style Cauliflower Perciatelli
This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
- 1 head cauliflower, trimmed of greens at stem
- About 1/4 cup EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 6 to 8 anchovy filets
- 4 cloves garlic. peeled and sliced
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- A fat pinch saffron threads
- Small handful golden raisins
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes or 2 large, ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 pound perciatelli or bucatini
- Shaved or grated Pecorino cheese
- About 1/3 cup toasted, chopped pistachios, pine nuts or sliced almonds
- A handful of basil leaves, torn
- Parsley, chopped, for garnish
Bring a large pot of water to a boil and salt the water liberally. Add the cauliflower whole and cook in boiling water for 8-10 minutes; cold shock to cool slightly and drain. Cut florets loose into bite-sized pieces and finely chop the stem.
Heat the EVOO, 4 turns of the pan, over medium heat. Add anchovies and stir to dissolve them into the oil, breaking them up with your spoon. Add garlic and red pepper flakes, and swirl 1-2 minutes. Add wine and reduce by half; add chicken stock, saffron, golden raisins, tomatoes, cauliflower florets and black pepper. Bring to a bubble and simmer sauce while the pasta cooks.
Cook the pasta to a minute shy of suggested cooking time, about 6 minutes. Add half a mug of starchy cooking water to sauce and toss with drained pasta.
Serve in shallow bowls topped with cheese, toasted nuts, some basil and parsley.