Slow Cooker Meal: Spanish-Style Chicken
Slow cooking enhances the flavors of chicken, chorizo, fruits and veggies, while an almond citrus fruity sauce finishes the dish.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 links cured chorizo, casings removed, halved and cut into chunks
- Salt and pepper
- 8 bone-in, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 1/2 pounds baby potatoes
- 1 red onion, coarsely chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
- 4-5 sprigs thyme
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano or 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- A splash of chicken stock or water
For the garnish:
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 3 tablespoons hot water
- 3 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1/4 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup pitted green olives, coarsely chopped
- 2 roasted red peppers, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup roasted almonds, sliced
- Orange and lemon peel
Place a large skillet over medium-high heat with two turns of the pan of EVOO, about 2 tablespoons. Add the chorizo to the pan and sear until golden brown, 3-4 minutes. Remove the chorizo and reserve.
Season the chicken with salt and pepper and sear in the same pan until golden brown, 3-4 minutes per side. Remove the chicken from pan and reserve.
While the meats are browning, scatter the potatoes, onion, garlic, thyme, oregano, vinegar, honey, lemon slices and chicken stock in the bowl of a crock pot. Season with salt and pepper. Lay the chorizo and chicken over the veggies.
Cover and cook, undisturbed, for 4 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low.
Meanwhile, place the golden raisins into a small bowl and pour the hot water and sherry vinegar over top. Wrap the bowl tightly with plastic wrap and let set until you’re ready to serve.
Just before serving, drain the raisins from the liquid, then mix them with parsley, olives and roasted peppers.
Serve the chicken garnished with the raisin pepper mixture, sliced roasted almonds and the orange and lemon peel.