Smoked Turkey Baked Chimichangas
A toaster oven makes quick work of these spicy chimichangas.
- 1 pound thickly sliced smoked turkey from deli counter, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 cups shredded slaw cabbage
- 1-2 chipotles in adobo sauce – use 1 for moderate heat, 2 for extra hot chimichangas
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 3 scallions, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 4 flour tortillas (12-inches each)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar (6 ounces), smoked white cheddar or pepper Jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or olive oil
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves or flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 vine ripe orange or yellow tomato, seeded and finely chopped
Pre-heat your toaster oven to 400°F or high.
Place the turkey in a bowl and season with chili powder. Add the shredded cabbage, chipotles in adobo, tomato sauce and scallions. Toss the filling to combine and season with salt and pepper. Place the tortillas in a kitchen towel and set in microwave. Microwave on high for 1 minute.
To build, place a generous handful of cheese near one edge of the tortilla. Pile a quarter of your filling in the tortilla. Tuck the sides up and roll the tortilla tightly. Repeat to make four large stuffed tortilla wraps. Brush the toaster oven baking tray with vegetable or olive oil. Brush the wraps with oil and bake until deep golden all over, 15-17 minutes. Top with sour cream, cilantro or parsley and chopped orange or yellow tomato, as garnishes.