Smoked Turkey Braised Greens
Serve with Creamy “Grits” and Creole Shrimp.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 pound thick-cut deli sliced smoked turkey, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 cups mixed dark greens: dandelion, mustard, chard, or kale – cook’s choice, coarsely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar (2 good splashes)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- A few dashes hot sauce
- 1-1 1/2 cups beer or chicken stock
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add EVOO and butter. When butter melts into EVOO, add smoked turkey and caramelize meat, a couple of minutes on each side. Add onions and cook 3-4 minutes more. Wilt greens into the pan and season with salt and pepper.
Cook and toss the greens a minute or two more, then add the vinegar – lean back – sugar and hot sauce. Cook off vinegar for a minute, then add beer or stock, enough to coat the pan and loosen up greens in liquid. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer greens 10-15 minutes until no longer bitter.