Spanish Shrimp and Chorizo Skewers with Especial Couscous
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 tablespoons hot pepper sauce (eyeball it)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon, plus 2 teaspoons grated peel
- 2 teaspoons sweet smoked paprika (about 2/3 palmful)
- 16 jumbo shrimp, deveined and peeled with tail left on
- 3/4 pound chorizo sausage, casings removed, cut on an angle into 12 slices
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 4 scallions, finely chopped
- 2 pinches saffron threads or 1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric
- 2 cups couscous
- 1/3 cup finely chopped cilantro (a generous handful)
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1/4 cup green olives with pimiento, chopped
Pre-heat a grill or grill pan to medium-high. In a medium bowl, combine 3 tablespoons EVOO, the hot sauce, garlic, lemon juice and paprika. Add the shrimp and toss to coat; let marinate for 10 minutes. Thread 4 shrimp and 3 chorizo slices on each of 4 skewers, nestling the sausage in the curve of the shrimp. Grill, turning once, until the shrimp are opaque, 7-8 minutes.
In a medium saucepan, bring the chicken broth, peas, scallions, lemon peel, saffron and remaining 1 tablespoon EVOO to a boil. Stir in the couscous, cover, and turn off the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in the cilantro, almonds and olives.
Divide the couscous among 4 plates and serve with the shrimp and chorizo.