Spring Vegetable Soup
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), plus more for drizzling
- Salt and pepper
- Four 1-inch-thick slices crusty bread
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 bunch asparagus, sliced on an angle into 1-inch pieces
- 4 scallions, sliced on an angle into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 pound green beans, sliced on an angle into thirds
- 4 cups baby spinach, coarsely chopped
- 5 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- Grated Parmigiano Reggiano
Pre-heat the oven to 400°F. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss the tomatoes with 1 tablespoon EVOO and salt and pepper to taste. Roast for 15 minutes. Let cool, then mash.
Pre-heat the broiler, then toast the bread. Rub with the garlic and drizzle with more EVOO.
In a large skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, over mediumhigh heat. Add the asparagus, scallions and green beans; season with salt and pepper. Cook until the scallions are softened, 2 minutes. Add the spinach and cook until wilted, 1 minute. Add the chicken broth and peas and simmer until heated through, 5-7 minutes. Stir in the mashed tomatoes.
To serve, put 1 toast in each of 4 bowls, pour the soup on top and sprinkle with the parsley and lemon peel. Pass the cheese around the table.