Sticky Orange Chicken with Herbs and Sweet Potatoes with Cider
Here’s a healthy meal to serve this Halloween and on into fall!
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes
- 1 cup warm cider
- 1/2 cup cream
- A pinch of cinnamon
- Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 4 pieces boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic or cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup orange marmalade
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, finely chopped
Peel the potatoes and boil until tender; drain and return to the hot pot. Mash the potatoes with the cider and cream, then season with cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
While the potatoes cook, heat the EVOO in a cast-iron or stainless steel skillet. Add the chicken to the hot pan and cook for 10 minutes, turning once. Transfer the chicken to a plate and deglaze the pan with vinegar. Whisk in the marmalade, stock and herbs. Add the chicken back to the skillet and turn in the sauce. Let thicken for 1-2 minutes, then serve with mashed sweet potatoes alongside.