Sweet and Sour (‘Agrodolce’) Braised Beef Short Ribs with Pink Horseradish Cream
This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
- 1 quart beef stock
- A fat handful or small package dried porcini mushrooms (optional but recommended)
- 6 meaty beef short ribs
- Salt and pepper
- Flour, for dredging
- Olive oil, 3 turns of the pan
- 4 onions, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 7 to 8 leaves of sage, sliced
- 2 to 3 tablespoons rosemary, chopped
- 1 cup spicy dry red wine
- 1/2 pound black skinned seedless grapes
- 1/4 cup aged Balsamic vinegar
For the Sauce:
- 1/4 cup prepared horseradish with beet, Gold’s preferred brand
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened/natural applesauce
- 1/4 cup finely chopped chives
- 2 to 3 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper
Preheat oven to 325°F. Heat stock in a small pot and add porcini to plump them up.
Dredge meat in salt-and-pepper seasoned flour. Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. When oil smokes, brown short ribs on all sides then remove to a plate. To the pot, add vegetables, garlic, sage and rosemary; season with salt and pepper. Cover pot and sweat vegetables to soften a bit, stirring occasionally. Add wine and reduce by half; add grapes, vinegar, reconstituted porcini and the stock (leaving behind any sediment that may have settled at the bottom). Bring to a boil then add meat back in and transfer to oven. Braise meat 2 1/2 hours or until very tender.
Remove meat to platter and pass sauce through a food mill with all the ingredients or strain sauce through a coarse sieve pushing vegetable bits through.
Combine sauce ingredients in small bowl and pass with meat and Mashed Potatoes and Parsnips.