- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 small carrot, chopped
- 2 small ribs celery, finely chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or marjoram
- Salt and pepper
- One can diced or whole fire-roasted tomatoes (28 ounces)
- One can stewed tomatoes (14.5-ounces)
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 bunches broccolini, cut into 2 1/2-inch florets
- 8-10 basil leaves, torn
- Grated Pecorino Romano cheese, for topping
- Crusty bread, for serving
In a medium soup pot, heat the EVOO, two turns of the pan, over medium heat. Stir in the carrot, celery, onion, garlic and oregano; season with salt and pepper. Cover the pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly softened, about 5 minutes. Add the diced and stewed tomatoes and the chicken stock and bring to a simmer; cook until the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the broccolini and cook until crisp-tender, 3-4 minutes. Drain.
Using an immersion blender, puree the soup. Stir in the broccolini and basil; season with salt and pepper. Serve with lots of cheese and bread.