Tomato Cucumber Salad with Lemon Honey Poppy Dressing
The zesty dressing adds a nice zing to this colorful salad!
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 25-30 leaves fresh basil
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley leaves (a handful)
- 3 tablespoons honey
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 English (seedless) cucumber, cut in quarters lengthwise, then chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1 pint red grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 pint yellow grape tomatoes, cut in half
In a blender or food processor, combine the lemon zest and juice with the basil, parsley, honey and some salt and pepper. While the machine is running, pour in the EVOO in a slow and steady stream. Transfer dressing to a bowl, add the poppy seeds and stir to combine.
For the salad, rub a salad bowl with the crushed clove of garlic (whack it on a cutting board with a heavy skillet to crush it) to give the flavor of garlic without overpowering the salad. Discard the garlic.
Chop the cucumber and tomatoes and add to the bowl. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to combine.
This is one of many “Yum-o!” recipes – it’s good and good for you. To find out more about Yum-o!, Rachael’s nonprofit organization,