Turkey Curry Sliders with Roasted Tomatoes and Eggplant
This Indian-inspired burger is a new and improved version of one of Rachael’s all-time favorites!
- 2 vine-ripened yellow or orange tomatoes
- Salt and pepper
- A sprinkle of sugar
- 2 baby Japanese eggplants
- Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), for brushing and drizzling
- 1 small red onion
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 2 inches fresh ginger root, peeled
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 scallions, whites and greens finely chopped
- A handful of cilantro, finely chopped
- A small handful of mint leaves, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup curry powder (4 tablespoons)
OR mix your own curry blend using:
- 1 rounded tablespoon ground cumin (a palmful)
- 1 rounded tablespoon ground coriander (a palmful)
- 2 tablespoons turmeric (2 scant palmfuls)
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom (1/3 palmful)
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (1/3 palmful)
- 12 slider rolls
- Mango chutney
- Plain Greek-style yogurt (optional topping)
Arrange a cooling rack over a baking sheet. Pre-heat the oven to 300°F.
Season the tomatoes with salt, pepper and a light sprinkle of sugar. Roast the tomatoes for 45-60 minutes, until caramelized. Remove the tomatoes to a plate and reserve. Raise the oven temperature to 450°F.
Cut the tops and trim the bottoms of the eggplants. Cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices, brush with EVOO and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 15 minutes, remove and cool.
Slice the red onion into thin rings and dress with lime juice and a drizzle of EVOO and season with salt and pepper.
Place the turkey in bowl and grate the ginger over the bowl. Add the garlic, scallions, cilantro, mint, salt, pepper and curry spices; mix to combine. To test the spice level, make a tiny patty the size of a quarter and cook it up.
Taste the test patty to adjust the seasonings, then form 12 slider-size patties. Drizzle the burgers with EVOO and cook on a grill, griddle pan or cast iron skillet over medium-high heat.
Arrange the slider bottoms on a platter and top with the patties. Top the burgers with the oven-dried tomatoes, roasted eggplant, onion rings and some mango chutney. Set the bun tops in place with a small dollop of yogurt, if using.