Turkey Taco Salad Bowl
This meal is great to make with your kids.
- 6 flour tortillas (8-inch)
- Cooking spray
- 2-3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 package ground, all-white-meat turkey (about 1 1/3 pounds)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (about a palmful)
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin (about half a palmful)
- 1/4 head iceberg lettuce, cored
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and chopped
- 1 cup yellow cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup black olives, chopped
- 1 jar store-bought taco sauce
Pre-heat oven to 375°F.
Wrap the tortillas in a damp towel and microwave for 10-15 seconds. Spray each tortilla on both sides with cooking spray and gently push them into a jumbo muffin tin, forming a cup shape.
Make a couple extras so you can choose the nicest ones out of the batch. Bake tortillas for about 10-12 minutes or until they are golden brown and hold their shape.
While the tortillas are cooking, place a medium size, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and add two turns of the pan of EVOO, about 2 tablespoons. Add the ground turkey, season with salt and pepper and cook, breaking up the pieces with the back of a wooden spoon, about 6-7 minutes until brown all over. Kid helpers can break up the meat with a potato masher.
Add another turn of the pan of EVOO if the mixture is dry, than add onion and grate the garlic right over the skillet with a microplane grater or the fine side of a box grater.
Cook for about 3-4 minutes, then add the chili powder and cumin, and cook for another couple minutes. If the mixture seems dry, add a couple tablespoons of water to loosen it up. Turn the heat off and set aside to keep warm.
Let a kid helper shred up the lettuce with a kitchen scissors. Chop the avocado last so it does not turn brown and get all icky.
Place the tortilla bowls into four deep cereal bowls and scoop a couple of big spoonfuls of the turkey mixture into each tortilla. Top the turkey with a sprinkle of cheese, some chopped tomatoes, avocadoes, olives and shredded lettuce on top – whatever toppings you like! Spoon a couple tablespoons of taco sauce over the top and serve.