Ultimate Tostada Bar: Flank Steak Chili with Chorizo and Black Beans
Super Bowl party preparations can begin and end with Rach’s Ultimate Tostada Bar. Shallow fry 24 corn tortillas in vegetable oil to serve eight guests (36 for up to 12) to serve with Smoky Refried Beans and Margarita Chicken toppings.
- 4-5 ancho chili peppers, stemmed and seeded
- 2 cups beef stock
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds flank steak, chopped into small dice, drained on paper towels
- McCormick brand Montreal Steak Seasoning or salt and coarse black pepper
- 2 links fresh Mexican chorizo, casing split or about 1/3 pound Spanish chorizo, casing removed and chopped
- 1 large Spanish onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 large fresh bay leaf
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin (half a palmful)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander (half a palmful)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano (1/3 palmful)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 bottle Negra Modelo beer
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
Stem and seed the anchos; simmer in beef stock to soften. Puree in a food processor and reserve.
In a Dutch oven, heat the oil, a couple of turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. When the oil smokes, add the beef and brown well. Season with steak seasoning or salt and pepper, add the chorizo and render or brown a couple of minutes more. Add the onion and garlic, bay leaf, cumin, coriander, and oregano and cook to soften the onion, 4-5 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste, cook for 1 minute, then add the beer and deglaze the pan. Add the ancho puree to the chili and stir in the beans. Simmer at a low bubble to thicken.