Vegetable Chunk Salad
Many of us use crudité platters for starters. For a change, substitute or add any combination of raw vegetables to this simple salad. Serve with Turkey Stuffin’ Soup and Cranberry Sauce Over Pound Cake a la Mode.
- 1/2 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 large red or green bell pepper, cut into bite-size chunks
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1/2 English (seedless) cucumber, cut into bite-size chunks
- 2 ribs celery, cut into one-inch pieces
- 1/2 yellow squash, cut into bite-size pieces
- 3 tablespoons to 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar (about 2 splashes)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- Coarse salt and pepper
Combine chopped vegetables in a medium bowl. Place a couple of glugs of EVOO, along with the vinegar, sugar, and Italian seasoning, into a small plastic container with a lid. Secure lid and shake dressing vigorously for one minute. Pour dressing over salad and toss. Season salad with salt and pepper, to taste.