Warm German Cabbage Salad
I came up with this idea (sooooo much cabbage in the garden)—I’m, like, instead of German potato salad, why don’t I make German cabbage salad?
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 slices smoky bacon, finely chopped
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 small red banana pepper or other mild chile, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1 rounded tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 pound cabbage, shredded
- 1/4 cup chopped celery leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Celery salt
In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the bacon and render that out a bit. Add the onion and banana pepper and stir that around to soften up, 1 or 2 minutes. Add the vinegar, sugar, cabbage, celery leaves, and parsley. Stir all that until the cabbage wilts a bit. Transfer to a serving dish and season with celery salt and pepper to taste. You can serve it warm or cold. I like it warm.