Arroz con Pavo
Saffron adds a special touch to leftover turkey with rice, pasta and veggies.
- 4 cups chicken stock (32 ounces), plus more for thinning the rice
- A generous pinch of saffron
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil ( EVOO)
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2/3-3/4 cup broken spaghetti or orzo pasta
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 small carrot, grated or finely chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inch)
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 1/2 lemon, juiced, plus 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 3/4-1 pound cooked turkey, chopped
- Chopped parsley or cilantro, for garnish
In a large saucepan, heat 4 cups chicken stock and the saffron. Keep warm.
In a pot with a tight-fitting lid, heat the EVOO and 1 tablespoon butter. Add the pasta and cook until toasted; transfer to a plate. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon butter to the pot to melt. Stir in the onion, carrot and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Cover the pot and cook the vegetables until softened, 2-3 minutes. Stir in the rice, bay leaf, cinnamon stick, thyme and lemon zest for 1 minute. Return the pasta to the pot.
Stir in the saffron stock and bring to a boil. Lower the heat, cover the pot and cook for 10 minutes. Splash in some more chicken stock to thin the consistency. Discard the cinnamon stick and bay leaf. Stir in the turkey and cook until the rice and pasta are cooked through, 6-7 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice and top with the parsley (or cilantro).