Bacon Burgers with Caramelized Onions and Gorgonzola
Coordinate the ingredients for this burger topped with sweet onions and cheese with Spicy Ziti with Sausage and Skillet Chicken with Hot and Sweet Peppers to make three recipes with just one grocery bag!
- Extra virgin olive oil ( EVOO), for drizzling and coating
- 1/3 pound good-quality slab bacon, chopped
- 3 large onions, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper
- A splash of white wine
- 1 1/2 pounds ground sirloin or chuck, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, minced
- 4 burger rolls, split and toasted
- 4 onion, sesame or poppy seed rolls, toasted
- 1/2 pound gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
- A few handfuls arugula or watercress
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Drizzle in EVOO. Cook the bacon until almost crispy. Transfer to a plate and let cool.
Stir the onions into the bacon drippings and season with pepper. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook until caramel in color, about 30 minutes. Season the onions with salt and deglaze the pan with a little wine. Transfer to a bowl and cover to keep warm.
Meanwhile, combine the beef, cooled bacon, rosemary, salt and pepper. Score the mixture into four equal portions and form them into patties slightly thinner at the center than at the edges for even cooking and to ensure a flat surface (burgers plump as they cook). Coat the burgers with EVOO.
Return the skillet to the burner and increase the heat to medium-high. Add the burgers and cook, flipping once, for 8 minutes for medium-rare (adjust the timing for more well-done burgers).
Place the burgers on the toasted rolls and top with the caramelized onions, some gorgonzola crumbles and spicy greens.