Bacon, Leek and Tomato Brisket
Enjoy this BLT – Bacon, Leek and Tomato – slow cooker meal with tender beef.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1/3-1/2 pound thick-cut, smoky bacon, chopped
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1 beef brisket (3 pounds)
- 2 large leeks, thinly sliced
- 2 pints grape tomatoes
- 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup beef stock or broth
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Watercress or arugula, for topping
- Parmesan garlic croutons
Place a large skillet over medium heat with the EVOO, one turn of the pan. Add the bacon to the pan and cook until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and reserve.
Return the skillet to medium-high heat with the bacon fat. Season both sides of the brisket with salt and pepper and sear on all sides until golden brown, 3-4 minutes per side.
While the meat is searing, add the reserved bacon and the leeks, tomatoes, garlic, bay leaf, beef stock or broth, thyme, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce and honey to the crock of a slow cooker. Season with salt and pepper and stir to combine.
Add the seared meat to the crock pot and cover. Cook on high for 7 hours or low for 9-10 hours, until the meat is tender.
Serve in shallow bowls with the salad and croutons on top.
This is one of many “Yum-o!” recipes – it’s good and good for you. To find out more about Yum-o!, Rachael’s nonprofit organization, visit