Bacon-Wrapped Salmon with Broccoli and Mashed Potatoes
Add a layer of flavor to your salmon with a slice of bacon wrapped around the middle.
- 2 pounds small red or Yukon Gold potatoes
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- A few sprigs of thyme
- 1 3-inch piece of lemon peel
- 4 salmon fillets (6 ounces each), skinned
- 4 slices black-pepper bacon
- 1 head broccoli, cut into spears
- 1 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and grated
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 pinches crushed red pepper
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons Tamari (dark soy sauce)
Position a rack in the upper third of the oven and pre-heat the oven to 450°F.
In a large saucepan, add the potatoes and enough water to cover them. Bring to a boil, salt the water and cook until tender, 12-15 minutes. Drain; return the potatoes to the pot.
While the potatoes are working, in a saucepan, combine the chicken stock, cream, thyme sprigs and lemon peel and steep over medium-low heat. Pour over the drained potatoes and mash together; season with salt and pepper. Cover to keep warm.
Season the salmon with salt and pepper, then wrap each fillet with the bacon. Arrange the fish on a broiler pan and roast until the bacon is almost crisp and the fish is almost firm, about 12 minutes.
On a rimmed baking sheet, toss together the broccoli, ginger, garlic, EVOO and crushed red pepper; season with salt. Roast in the lower third of the oven until tender, about 12 minutes.
In a small saucepan, bring the maple syrup and Tamari to a boil. Baste the salmon liberally with the glaze and cook for 1 minute more. Serve the salmon with the mashed potatoes and broccoli.