This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com .
- Butter, for greasing the baking dish
- 1 pound fresh ricotta cheese, homemade or store-bought, drained
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1/2 cup Italian pistachios, toasted and finely chopped
- 1 large free-range organic egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest (from an organic lemon)
- Salt and pepper
- Freshly grated nutmeg
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter a large ramekin or small soufflé dish. Line the sides with doubled parchment paper to give the dish a 2- to 3-inch collar.
In a bowl , stir the ricotta, Parm, pistachios, egg, thyme, lemon zest, salt, pepper and a few grates of nutmeg. Scrape into the ramekin, set it on a baking sheet , and bake until just set, about 45 minutes. Let cool for 30 minutes or so.
Remove the parchment paper collar and turn out the baked ricotta onto a serving dish.
“Baked cheese is delicious all on its own, served with flatbreads, crackers or charred toast. Ripe, fresh fruits are also delicious with baked ricotta. At holidays, top this stunner of a snack with roasted grapes, roasted cherry tomatoes or roasted pitted cherries. I roast all three of these fruits as toppers with thinly sliced shallots and a fat drizzle of good-quality balsamic vinegar.”