Basic Texas-Style Queso
This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
- 3/4 pound (12 ounces) extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated (about 3 cups)
- 6 ounces Pepper Jack or Monterey Jack cheese, grated (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (half a palmful) ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon pimentón (smoked sweet paprika)
- About 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 small onion, grated or minced, with its juice
- 2 cloves garlic, grated or minced
- 1 4-ounce can diced green chilies, drained
Combine cheeses and toss with cornstarch and dried spices. Place cheeses in a heavy-bottomed pot and add milk. Place pot over medium-low heat and stir to melt, 10-15 minutes. Add onions, garlic and chilies, and reduce heat to low. Stir to combine flavors and cook onions, 10 minutes more. Keep warm over low heat, stirring occasionally for 1 hour or serve in slow cooker on low setting.
Serve queso on hot dogs garnished with jalapeño chips or pickled jalapeños; build nachos with spiced ground beef or crumbled Mexican chorizo; serve with jicama, radishes and celery hearts for dipping; use as a topping for crispy Tater Tots hot from the oven or slather the queso on grilled corn.