This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com .
- 1 tablespoon olive or canola oil
- 1/3 pound meaty, smoky bacon, finely chopped
- 1 crisp apple, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 ribs celery, finely chopped
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup Calvados or brandy
- 1 1/2 pounds 80% lean ground beef
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 1 large egg
- About 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons sage, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons thyme, chopped
- 3 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
For the Secret Sauce:
- 1/2 cup beef stock
- 1/2 cup onion jam or onion marmalade
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup passata or ketchup
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Heat a skillet over medium-high heat with oil; add bacon and render 2-3 minutes. Add apples, celery, onion, bay and salt, and cook to tender, 7-8 minutes. Add Calvados or brandy and cool completely; remove the bay leaf.
Line a baking sheet  with parchment paper and form a loaf about 4 inches across and 4 inches high.
In small pot , warm stock and melt jam into it. Add Worcestershire and passata or ketchup and let thicken 3-5 minutes at a low bubble.
Slather meatloaf with 1/3 of the sauce and bake 15 minutes uncovered. Remove from oven, tent with foil and bake another 35-45 minutes, or until internal temperature of 145°F.
Serve with mashed potatoes (I like white sharp cheddar and nutmeg in mine) and a roasted or sautéed green vegetable, like green beans, with remaining secret sauce on the side.