Beer-Battered Fish Tacos
This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
For the Tacos:
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon (a palmful) Old Bay Seafood Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon (a palmful) chili powder, preferred brand Gebhart’s
- 2 teaspoons (2/3 palmful) each garlic powder, salt and ground pepper
- 1 12-ounce bottle blonde beer or lager
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 pounds Mahi Mahi or other white sustainable fish, cut into 3×1-inch sticks
- 16 6-inch corn tortillas
- 1/2 small white cabbage, shredded
- Radishes, very thinly sliced
- Queso Fresco or Cotija cheese, crumbled
For the Chipotle Crema:
- 3 tablespoons chipotles in adobo
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 cup Mexican crema
For the Chunky Guacamole:
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 4 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 ripe avocados, diced
- Juice of 1 lemon or lime
In a large bowl, whisk up flour with Old Bay, chili powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Whisk beer into batter then add egg and combine. Dunk fish pieces into batter and fry a few pieces at a time to deep golden brown. Salt fish when they come out of the oil, while they’re still hot. Keep warm in a moderate oven on a wire rack set on a rimmed baking sheet.
Char tortillas in hot, dry skillet or over a burner flame.
Combine onion, jalapeño, salt, tomatoes and cilantro then fold in diced avocado and add lemon or lime juice.
Serve fish with tortillas and fixins alongside.