Brown Butter and Sage Pasta with Roasted Pumpkin or Butternut Squash
This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
- 1 1/2 pounds pumpkin or butternut squash, peeled and diced into bite-sized pieces
- 16 leaves sage
- 3/4 pound fresh ricotta
- 1 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 pound short-cut farro or whole wheat pasta
- Toasted pumpkin seeds, if using pumpkin (optional)
From the pantry:
- EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil, for drizzling
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- Salt and white pepper or finely ground black pepper
- About 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg (optional)
Preheat oven to 425°F.
Bring a pot of water to a rolling boil for the pasta.
Melt butter in a skillet then add crushed garlic. Swirl a minute then add sage and crisp leaves while butter browns; remove sage with fork to paper towels and cool. Discard garlic and remove pan from heat.
Cook pasta in salted water to 1 minute shy of al dente per package directions. Reserve a cup of starchy water before draining pasta. Add pasta back to hot pot along with ricotta, Parm, reserved brown butter, salt, pepper and nutmeg, if using; toss to coat. Add some of the starchy cooking liquid if the sauce is too tight. Add roasted pumpkin or butternut squash and adjust seasoning.
Serve in shallow bowls topped with crispy sage leaves and pumpkin seeds, if using.