Buffalo-Ranch Chicken Cobb Salad
This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- A few black peppercorns
- 2 celery with leafy tops, thinly sliced on angle
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced on bias
- 1/2 small red onion, root attached and thinly sliced from root
- 12 slices meaty bacon
- 4 large eggs
- 3 chicken breasts, halved horizontally and pounded
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon each granulated garlic, granulated onion and smoked sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne
- Olive oil, for drizzling or olive oil spray
- 1 head romaine and 1 small head iceberg lettuce, both cored and chopped
- 2 vine or 4 plum tomatoes, sliced into thin wedges or chopped
- 1 bunch scallions (both whites and greens), sliced on bias
- 3/4 pound smoked blue cheese or blue cheese, crumbled (Rach uses Oscar’s Smokehouse)
For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup buttermilk or whole milk
- 1 cup sour cream or Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup Fabanaise (vegan mayo) or mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup cayenne pepper sauce (Rach’s uses Frank’s Red Hot)
- 2 cloves garlic, grated or pasted
- 2 teaspoons granulated onion
- Juice of 1 lemon or 2 tablespoons white wine or cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped dill, parsley and chives, combined
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Combine vinegar, water, salt, sugar and peppercorns in a small pot. Bring to boil and stir to dissolve the sugar and salt. Place celery, carrots and onions in a jar or small bowl and pour pickling liquid over to quick-pickle; cool.
Place eggs in a small pot, cover then with water and bring to boil. Turn off heat, cover pot with a lid and let stand 12 minutes. Crack eggs and let cool in cold water before quartering them lengthwise.
Heat a cast-iron griddle or large skillet over medium-high heat. Season the chicken with salt, pepper, garlic, onion, paprika and cayenne, and drizzle with oil. Grill chicken 6-8 minutes, turning occasionally, then remove to a cutting board and cool a few minutes. Thinly slice them across breast.
Whisk up salad dressing and transfer to a small pitcher or gravy boat.
Across a very large cutting board or serving platter, arrange lettuce. Line up remaining ingredients in rows across the greens: tomatoes, bacon, scallions, chicken down the center, pickled celery, blue cheese, drained pickled carrots and celery. Pour Buffalo Ranch dressing evenly across everything and serve.