All the flavors of a Caesar Salad in a soup!
- 4 cups cubed country bread
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil ( EVOO)
- 5-6 canned anchovy fillets
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- One vegetable or chicken broth (32 ounces container) (4 cups)
- 1 heart romaine lettuce, coarsely chopped
- 1 head escarole, coarsely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Freshly grated romano cheese, for topping
Heat the oven to 300°. Toast the bread cubes in a single layer on a baking sheet for 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the EVOO over medium heat. Add the anchovies and cook, stirring, until melted, 3 minutes. Lower the heat to low, add the garlic and cook for 5 minutes. Add the croutons and Worcestershire sauce and toss.
In a medium saucepan, bring the vegetable broth, romaine and escarole to a simmer, then cook for 5 minutes; season with salt and pepper. Turn off the heat and stir in the lemon juice.
Arrange the croutons in bowls and, using tongs, pile the greens evenly on top, then ladle in the broth. Top with the romano cheese.