Carbonara with Asparagus and Peas
This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- A fat pinch of saffron threads, about 30
- About 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/3 pound pancetta, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- Black pepper
- 1/2 pound thin asparagus, tough stems trimmed and thinly sliced on a bias
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup fresh, shelled or frozen peas
- A fat handful of flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup (a couple of handfuls) Parmigiano-Reggiano, grated
- 1/2 cup (a couple of handfuls) grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1 pound tagliatelle or linguine
Bring a large pot of water to a boil for the pasta.
Simmer the stock with saffron to steep the threads.
Heat a large, deep skillet over medium heat with 4 turns of the pan of olive oil. Add pancetta and a rounded teaspoon of coarse black pepper. Render pancetta 3 minutes then add asparagus, shallots, garlic and peas, and toss 2-3 minutes more. Add wine, reduce heat to low and let simmer.
Cook pasta in liberally salted water to al dente.