Chicken and Waffles with Maple Apples
Try this innovative whole grain waffle recipe for any meal of the day!
Collect all of Rach’s waffle recipes from “Waffle Week!”
- 4 tablespoons butter, plus some for brushing waffle iron, divided
- 4 Gala or Honeycrisp apples, peeled and sliced
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 cups maple syrup
- 8 slices bacon, baked until crisp on a slotted pan at 375ºF, finely chopped
- 2 cups whole grain waffle mix
- About 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2-2 cups reduced fat milk – start with 1 1/2 cups and if the mix gets too thick, add more
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded 1/4-inch thick
- Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) or vegetable oil, for drizzling
- Salt and pepper
Heat a waffle iron to high.
Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add the apples and sauté for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned. Add the cinnamon sticks and maple syrup, bring to a bubble and cook at a low boil while the waffles cook.
Combine the bacon, waffle mix, nutmeg, eggs and milk and stir to combine. Brush the waffle iron with butter and fill with the bacon-multigrain batter. Cook to crisp.
In a large skillet, heat a little EVOO or vegetable oil, a turn of the pan. Add the chicken, seasoned liberally with salt and pepper, and cook for a few minutes on each side until golden and cooked through.
Serve the chicken on a waffle topped with maple apples.