Chicken Cordon Bleu Salad
Serve this enticing entrèe salad made with potatoes, hot ham, chicken and cheese with crunch from celery root, carrots and watercress.
- 1 pound fingerling or small yukon gold potatoes, quartered lengthwise
- Salt and pepper
- 2 chicken cutlets (4 ounces each)
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil ( EVOO), plus more for drizzling
- 1/2 pound 1/2-inch-thick ham steak
- 1 large shallot
- 1/4 cup grainy dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey or agave syrup
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme or 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/3 pound thick deli-sliced swiss cheese
- 1 celery root, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 1 bunch watercress, trimmed
- 1 baguette, warmed, for serving
- Butter, for serving
In a large saucepan, combine the potatoes and enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, salt the water and cook until tender, about 8 minutes. Rinse under cold water; drain well.
Season the chicken cutlets with salt and pepper. In a large nonstick skillet, heat a drizzle of EVOO over medium-high heat. Add the cutlets and cook, turning once, until golden, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Add the ham steak to the skillet and cook, turning once, until browned, about 5 minutes.
Cut the chicken, ham and swiss cheese into thin strips and add to the dressing. Add the celery root, carrots and potatoes. Toss to coat well. Divide the salad among plates garnished with the watercress leaves.
Serve with the baguette and butter.