Chicken Monte Cristo Burgers
The flavors of chicken piccata and chicken francese combine in this burger served on savory Parm toast.
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Salt and pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) and butter, for griddling
- 8 slices Italian bread
- 1 1/2 pounds ground chicken
- 1/2 cup flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons capers, chopped
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 6 cups baby spinach
Drizzle the griddle with EVOO, then melt a dab of butter into the EVOO. Working in batches if needed, coat the bread in the egg mixture and cook until golden, 3 minutes per side. Transfer the toasts to a plate and keep warm in the oven.
Increase the heat to medium-high. In a large bowl, combine the chicken, parsley, capers, lemon zest, shallot, garlic, salt and pepper. Form the mixture into four patties. Drizzle the griddle with the EVOO, then add the patties and cook until browned and cooked through, 6-7 minutes per side. Drizzle the burgers with the lemon juice; divide among four toasts.
Add the spinach to the griddle; toss until wilted, then season. Pile the spinach on the burgers and top with the remaining toasts.