Creamy Pasta with Spinach and Fried Capers
Talk about a new comfort food dish!
- 1 pound gemelli, strozzapreti or other short pasta
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil ( EVOO)
- 1/4 cup capers, drained
- 1 large clove garlic, smashed
- 2 packed cups spinach, stemmed and chopped
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- A pinch of nutmeg (optional)
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain, reserving the pot.
While the pasta is working, in a medium size skillet, heat the EVOO, eight turns of the pan, over medium heat. Add the capers and fry until they open, 3-4 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the capers to paper towels to drain. Add the garlic to the skillet and cook until lightly golden, 1-2 minutes. Add the spinach and cook until wilted, 1 minute.
Discard the garlic and stir the spinach into the pasta. If desired, add some of the spinach oil from the skillet. Top with the fried capers.