Cumin Beef Pepper Steak and Brown Rice
This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
Toasted cumin and peppercorns add flavor this tasty stir fry.
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice or brown-and-wild-rice blend (such as Whole Foods brand), cooked according to package directions in chicken stock rather than water
- 1-1 1/2 pounds flatiron steak, flank steak or petite filet
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed or 1 rounded tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Szechuan peppercorns or 2 teaspoons ground Szechuan pepper
- 2 tablespoons stir fry oil with ginger and garlic or peanut oil
- 2 green bell peppers or large green mild frying peppers, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2-3 small dried whole red chili peppers (look for these in pouches in the Asian foods section of your market or with the dried peppers in the produce section) or 1 tablespoon chili paste, such as Sambal Olek
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 1-inch piece of ginger root, peeled and ground
- 1 small piece cinnamon stick (2-3 inches)
- 3 tablespoons Tamari (dark soy sauce) or liquid amino
- A handful of cilantro tops
- 1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced on an angle
Cook the rice in stock according to the package directions while you prep the meat and vegetables. Do not heat the pan to stir fry until the rice is resting for the last 10 minutes, per the package directions.
Place the meat in the freezer for 10 minutes to firm it up for thin slicing.
Toast the cumin and peppercorns in a small skillet, then grind in a spice mill.
Very thinly slice the meat on an angle against the grain into bite-size pieces. Toss the meat with the cumin and peppercorn spice blend.
To prepare the meat, heat a large skillet or round-bottom pan over high heat with 2 tablespoons high temperature cooking oil. When the oil ripples and smokes, add the beef and brown. Add the peppers, chili peppers, onion, garlic, ginger and cinnamon stick, and stir fry to tender-crisp, 2-3 minutes. Add the Tamari and remove from the heat. Toss with the cilantro and scallions and serve with rice.