This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com .
- 1 tablespoon canola or olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- Salt and pepper
- 1 rounded tablespoon chili powder, preferred brand Gebhardt
- 1 teaspoon celery seed (about 1/3 palmful)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin (about 1/3 palmful)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons (packed) light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard, plus more for serving, preferred brand Plochman’s
- 3/4 cup beef stock
- 8 beef and pork hot dogs with natural casings
- 8 premium hot dog rolls
- 1 small white onion, chopped
In a large skillet , heat the oil, one turn of the pan , over medium-high. Add the beef and cook, stirring and breaking it up with a spoon, until browned and finely crumbled, about 4 minutes; season with salt and pepper. Add the chili powder, celery seed and cumin; stir until the spices are toasted, about 1 minute. Add the onion and garlic, and cook, stirring often, until softened, 2-3 minutes longer. Add the brown sugar, tomato paste and mustard; stir until combined. Add the stock and 3/4 cup water, and let simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 15 minutes.
In a large saucepan , cover the hot dogs with water; bring to a simmer and cook until heated through, about 5 minutes. (Or, if you like your dogs with extra-snappy casings, heat a griddle pan  over medium-high and grill the hot dogs, turning, until heated through, about 5 minutes.)
Place the dogs in rolls. Top with chili sauce, a zigzag of mustard and some chopped onions.
From the April 2016 issue of Every Day With Rachael Ray magazine.