This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
- 3 slices stale bread, crumbled
- A splash or two beef stock or milk
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 cup Chianti red wine
- Kosher salt and pepper
- Freshly grated nutmeg, about 1/4 teaspoon
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 12 leaves fresh sage, thinly sliced or chopped
- A handful of flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 large egg
- A couple of handfuls grated Parmigiano-Reggiano or Pecorino cheese
- EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil, for drizzling
Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a bowl, moisten bread with stock or milk.
In a mixing bowl, mix beef with the wine and season with salt and pepper. Squeeze excess liquid from bread and tear it into small breadcrumbs as you add them to the bowl with the meat. Add nutmeg, garlic, herbs, egg, cheese and a fat drizzle of EVOO. Mix to combine with your hands.
Using a scoop, roll 20-24 balls and place them on the parchment-lined baking sheet. Roast 18-20 minutes.