Eat-Your-Greens Burgers with Avocado Ranch Dressing
This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
- 2 cups (packed) baby kale or baby spinach
- 1 pound ground sirloin
- 3 to 4 tablespoons grated onion with juices
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 slices Cooper sharp white American cheese (available at http://www.coopercheese.com) or Monterey Jack
- 1 ripe Hass avocado, pitted and peeled
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Juice of 1/2 lemon (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 large clove garlic, grated
- 1 tablespoon green hot sauce (such as Tabasco Green Jalapeño Pepper Sauce)
- 4 brioche rolls, split and toasted
- Lettuce, tomato and thinly sliced onion
In a food processor, pulse the greens until very finely chopped.
In a mixing bowl, combine the greens and the meat. Add the onion and its juice, and the Worcestershire; season with salt and pepper. Form into 4 patties that are thinner in the centers for even cooking. Rinse out the processor bowl and return it to the base.
Heat a cast-iron skillet over medium-high. Add the oil, one turn of the pan. Add the patties and cook, turning occasionally, until browned, about 8 minutes. During the last minute or so of cooking, top each patty with 1 slice of cheese; tent loosely with foil to melt the cheese.
In the processor, combine the avocado, sour cream, herbs, lemon juice, garlic and hot sauce. Season with salt and process into a smooth, thick dressing.
Serve the patties on the rolls with the lettuce, tomato, onion and lots of dressing.
This recipe was featured in the September 2015 magazine of Every Day with Rachael Ray magazine.