Espresso Chili with Beef and Black Beans
This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
- 2 tablespoons olive or canola oil
- 1 1/2 pounds 80% lean ground sirloin
- 2 tablespoons chili powder, such as Gebhardt or ground ancho chili powder (which is very mild)
- 1 rounded tablespoon instant espresso powder
- 1 scant tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 scant tablespoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper
- 1 large onion or 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup pickled jalapeño slices, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups beef or veal stock
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- Minced red onions
- Chopped cilantro
- Chopped radishes
- Chopped avocado
- Crumbled Fritos Corn Chips
- Crumbled Queso fresco or shredded cheddar
Add the chili powder, espresso powder, coriander and cumin, and season with salt and pepper. Cook stirring constantly, about 1 minute. Add the onions, garlic and jalapeño. Partially cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables soften, 6-8 minutes.
Add tomato paste; stirring until blended, then add the stock, beans and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a bubble then reduce the heat to low and let simmer, stirring often until flavors combine, about 5 minutes. Serve chili in shallow bowls with toppings of choice.