Fat Spaghetti with Bacon and Artichokes
- Salt and pepper
- 1 pound bucatini, pici or spaghetti
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1/4-1/3 pound chunk guanciale, pancetta or center-cut bacon, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 cups frozen artichoke hearts, thawed or 1 can artichoke hearts (14 ounces), drained and chopped
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Caciocavallo or Pecorino Romano cheese, plus more for serving
- 1/3 cup flat leaf parsley (a generous handful), chopped
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain, reserving 1 cup of the starchy cooking water.
While the pasta is working, in a large skillet, heat the EVOO, three turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the guanciale (or pancetta or bacon) and cook until the fat is rendered, 2-3 minutes. Add the onion and garlic, season with pepper and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the wine, then the stock. Add the artichoke hearts and cook to heat through, about 5 minutes. Season with salt. Lower the heat to low.
Stir the reserved pasta cooking water into the artichoke sauce. Add the pasta, 1/2 cup cheese and the parsley; toss. Serve the pasta in shallow bowls and pass more cheese at the table.