This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com .
For the Burgers:
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef sirloin
- Kosher salt and coarse black pepper
- 1/2 pound bulk sweet Italian or breakfast sausage
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sage (a few sprigs), thinly sliced or about 1 teaspoon ground sage, 1/3 palmful
- 1 small onion, grated (about 1/2 cup grated onion)
- 2 large cloves garlic, grated, pasted or finely chopped
- About 2 tablespoons Worcestershire (Don’t forget to shake up the bottle)
- 1 rounded tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- About 1/2 cup breadcrumbs, 2 small handfuls
- Olive oil or vegetable oil, for drizzling
For the Mushroom Gravy:
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 pound button or cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- Salt and black pepper
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/3 cup dry sherry
- 1 1/2 cups veal stock or beef stock
- A small handful parsley, finely chopped
- 4 thin slices white toast, buttered
For the Cheesy Mashed Potato Mounds:
- 4 Russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/4 cup veal or beef stock
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 to 2/3 cup whole milk
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- Black pepper, to taste
- A little freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- A few tablespoons melted butter, to serve
- Minced chives, garnish
Preheat oven to 375°F and line baking sheet  with parchment.
Place beef in bowl  and season with salt and pepper. Add sausage, sage, grated onion, garlic, Worcestershire, Dijon, egg and breadcrumbs. Mix meat and form 5 oval meat loaves about as thick as a large burger, 1 inch or so. Drizzle patties with oil and heat up a large cast-iron griddle or skillet over medium high-heat. Brown patties on each side about 3-4 minutes, place loaves on a baking sheet  and transfer to the oven while you prepare the gravy.
Reduce heat to medium-low to medium under the skillet. Add butter to pan  and swirl pan  off burner to melt, return to stove and add mushrooms. Cook until golden, 5-8 minutes, then season with salt and pepper. Add shallots, stir a minute or so then add flour and stir a minute more. Whisk  in sherry and evaporate. Whisk  in stock and simmer to thicken a bit; add parsley.
For the Cheesy Mashed Potato Mounds: Place potatoes in a large pot , cover with water and bring to a boil. Salt water liberally and boil to tender. Drain potatoes and place back in the hot pot. Douse with a splash of stock then add sour cream and 1/2 cup milk. Mash to almost smooth and stir in cheese. Season the potatoes with pepper, nutmeg and salt to taste; stir in egg. Add potatoes to a plastic food storage bag with the corner cut off about 1 inch wide.
Preheat broiler with a rack in the center of the oven.
Line a small baking sheet with parchment. Pipe large spiral mounds of potatoes like soft serve ice cream about 3 inches wide and 4 inches tall. Place in the oven and broil to crisp at edges and browned. Brush with melted butter and serve garnished with minced chives.
Cut toast into points, corner to corner, diagonally across.
Serve 1 burger loaf or ground meat steak on 2 toast points. Ladle or spoon the mushroom and sherry gravy overtop.