Firecracker Deviled Corn Dogs
This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
- Frying oil, enough to go 2 1/2 inches up the sides of a long or wide pot or pan, plus 2 tablespoons
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons superfine sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons (2/3 palmful) Coleman’s dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons (2/3 palmful) paprika
- 1 teaspoon (1/3 palmful) cayenne pepper or 1 tablespoon hot sauce, added to eggs and milk
- 1 teaspoon (1/3 palmful) onion powder or granulated onion
- 1 teaspoon (1/3 palmful) garlic powder or granulated garlic
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup milk
- 8 all-natural beef or pork hot dogs
- 8 8- to 10-inch bamboo or wooden skewers, trimmed so they fit in the pot
- BBQ sauce and yellow or jalapeño mustard, for dipping or drizzling
Heat oil to medium to medium-high heat for frying. Preheat oven to 250°F.
Sift flour, sugar and baking powder into a bowl and combine with salt, pepper, mustard, paprika, cayenne (if using), and onion and garlic powders. Stir in cornmeal.
Pat hot dogs dry, thread them on skewers then dip to coat in the batter. Fry 2-3 dogs at a time in the hot oil to deep golden all over, 4-5 minutes. Drain cooked dogs on a cooling rack set over a baking sheet and keep them warm in the oven as you finish the rest.