Are you ready for Rachael’s Feedback festival in Austin? Get all the details here , and if you can’t make it in person, make this tasty recipe at home! An all-beef hot dog topped with tasty refried beans, roasted tomato salsa, pickled jalapeño and white onion – what’s not to love?
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2-1 jalapeño, diced
- 1/2 medium size onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, grated or minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Juice of 1 lime
- Couple shakes of hot sauce, such as Frank’s RedHot
- 1, 16.oz can spicy vegetarian refried beans
Roasted Tomato Salsa:
- 6 ripe tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 onion, cut in wedges
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- Olive oil, to drizzle
- Salt and pepper
- 3 Ancho, Pasilla, or New Mexico red dried chiles, stemmed, seeded, and toasted
- 1/2 – 1 Tablespoon honey
- 1-2 Tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Pinch of all spice
- 8 hot dogs, such as Hebrew National, cooked in water or on a grill or griddle
- 8 soft hot dog buns, such as King’s Hawaiian
- White onion, chopped and rinsed
- Pickled jalapeño pepper rings
For the beans, place a medium size skillet  or sauce pot  over medium heat and add olive oil. Add the jalapeño, onion, and garlic and season with salt. Let cook out until softened. Stir in about 1/2 cup water and let cook until evaporated. Add in the cumin, lime juice, Franks RedHot. Mix in the beans. Reconstitute with 1/4-1/2 cup water as needed until spoonable.
For the roasted tomato salsa, preheat oven to 375°F.
Place the tomatoes, onion, and garlic on a baking sheet . Season with salt and pepper, drizzle with olive oil, then place in oven for 45 minutes to an hour, or until vegetables are charred and falling apart.
While the tomatoes are cooking, place the peppers in a small sauce pot  and cover with chicken stock or water. Bring to a boil and let simmer for about 10-15 minutes. Move the peppers to a food processor and puree. Add the honey, vinegar, cumin, all spice, and tomatoes and puree until a jammy consistency is reached. Season with salt and pepper.
Prepare hot dogs by either grilling or cooking in water. Spread some refried beans on one side of the bun, place a hot dog on top, and top with jam, pickled jalapeños and white onion.
This recipe courtesy of our Feedback House sponsors,