French Onion Dip With Cider
This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
- 4 tablespoons EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 large or 4 medium sweet onions, chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, grated or finely chopped
- Salt and white pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme
- 2/3 cup cloudy apple cider
- 2 cups whole-fat Greek yogurt or sour cream
- Finely chopped chives, to serve
- Crudité and waffle fries or fancy chips, for dipping
Heat a large skillet over low heat with the oil. Add the onions and cook low-and-slow for about 15-20 minutes, until the onions begin to turn a deep, golden brown. Add the garlic, a big pinch of salt and pepper, and the ground thyme. Turn the heat up to high and add the cider. Cook for about 5 minutes more, until the cider mixture reduces by half. Remove from heat and let cool.
Once the onions have cooled, place them into a mixing bowl with the Greek yogurt. Taste and season more, if needed. Put into a serving bowl and chill until ready to eat. Top with chives before serving.