Fritos supply a surprise crunch to this spicy ham and cheese frittata.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil ( EVOO) or vegetable oil
- 1/3-pound ham steak, diced (about 1 cup)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 small red bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 serrano chili peppers or 1 large jalapeño pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 small vine-ripe tomato, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro or parsley, chopped
- About 1 1/3 cups Fritos corn chips, lightly crushed (about 3 big handfuls)
- 10 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce, such as Frank’s® RedHot®
- 4 ounces pepper Jack cheese, diced (about 1 cup)
Position a rack in the center of the oven and pre-heat it to 400°F.
In a large, ovenproof skillet, heat the EVOO over medium-high heat. Add the ham and cook until browned, 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
Add the butter to the skillet and cook until foaming. Add the onion, bell pepper, chili peppers and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Cook until crisp-tender, 3-4 minutes. Stir in the tomato and cilantro. Scatter the ham and corn chips in the pan.
In a bowl, beat the eggs with the hot sauce; season with salt and pepper, Pour the egg mixture over the ham mixture. Scatter the cheese on the top. Cook until the eggs are just set, 3-5 minutes. Transfer the frittata to the oven and bake until puffed, 12-15 minutes.