This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com .
- 3/4 pound chunk Leyden cheese (Gouda with cumin); if not available use shredded fontina or mild cheddar and toss with 1/2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 3/4 to 1 pound cremini mushrooms or mixed mushrooms, such cremini, hen of the woods/maitake and/or shitake
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large shallots, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup “No Chicken” stock, such as Imagine brand or mushroom stock
- 1 bunch flat-leaf kale, stemmed and chopped
- 4 garlic naan breads
Shred cheese on large side of box grater, about 2 1/2 to 3 cups.
Stem and thinly slice mushrooms or separate maitake into florets.
Heat a skillet over medium-high heat with olive oil, 2 turns of the pan . Add mushrooms and brown, about 8 minutes. Add shallots and season with salt and pepper. Stir another 2 minutes then add stock to deglaze pan . Wilt in kale and allow the stock to almost evaporate completely. Turn off heat.
Meanwhile, preheat broiler and preheat a griddle pan over medium-high heat. Add a sprinkle of water to the pan and brown the naans two at a time on both sides, blistering the bread.
Arrange the breads on baking sheets and top evenly with mushrooms and kale then cover with cheese. Broil to bubble and brown the cheese, serve hot.
From the January/February 2016 issue of ‘Every Day with Rachael Ray‘